Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Superstition vs. Christianity

We hear the song superstition by Stevie Wonder and we sing along to the beat but as christians we laugh at the idea of superstition.  I wonder if it hasn't crept into our thinking as believers.  For example, if you have ever had the following phrase go through your head, "if I do this, then that will happen".  What I am talking about is different than cause and effect, for example, if I hit my head against a wall it will hurt.  That isn't superstition.  But when we begin to project into the future if I "feel" this way or "dont feel" this way, that can be our road to what we believe is true.

We can act like we are in control of the outcome of our lives but are we really?  I believe we do have a free will, but within that, who ultimately holds the script to my life?  I can look at a decision and say "I hope I dont choose the wrong path, because if I do, my life will be over so to speak."  My friends, this is not biblical, the only decision that Jesus says to make sure you make the right one is to make Him Lord of your life.  Whether or not you choose to eat pizza or cheerios may not have the same weight. 

My point is this, sometimes we get paralyzed by fear because of not wanting to make the wrong choice, I would ask you this, do you think there could be sometimes in life that either decision you have to make is fine and the Lord is waiting on either side?  Really could God be that big?  Could he be so on top of things that you dont have to be in control or worry?  If he is a redeeming God, which He is, He has the market cornered on it, redemption occurs daily, moment by moment, not giving us the freedom to do whatever we want, but to be freed up to make a mistake or succeed in our lives.  He is faithful to complete the work he has begun in each of us.  Notice how I ended that sentence with a period, HE is faithful, its not our faithfulness.  Let your mind and heart rest today, ask Him to see where superstition may have crept into your heart and beliefs, as Max Lucado writes:  

"Hope is not what you expect; it’s what you would never dream....Hope is not a granted wish or a favor performed; no, it’s far greater than that.  It’s a zany, unpredictable dependence on a God who loves to surprise us out of our socks and be there in the flesh to see our reaction."

Gods not waiting for us to get our act together to give us hope, we dont trust our ability to make ourselves ready for God to move, we trust His spirit in us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment