Saturday, January 10, 2009

Why our Heart beats

We all beat for something, our hearts beat for things in the future, marriage, friendships, recognition, the unexpected.  At what point do we deter from God desires to ours? Scripture does say that God will give us the desire of our hearts, but we tend to look past the first part of that verse...."Delight yourself in the Lord".  As I look around I see people longing or "beating" for things.  The teen that dresses to look older, the heavier set person dresses to look skinny, the skinny dress layered up to look "full".  

There are those that beat to be the best in sports, music, academics, etc.  Sure it is good to compete, to excel and want to be the best and sharpest.  But when that defines who you are it can be gone as quickly or quicker than it came.  Here is what I am getting at, Jesus Christ is what defines my worth.  Jesus Christ defines my success.  Scripture says "fear of man will prove to be a snare".  When we pursue things out of a desire to fill a need that Jesus desires to fill, it will end in disappointment.  God can use alot of these things to bring peace, excitement, and joy.  But it is never meant as a replacement of Him, it is more "icing" on the cake.  My friends, the table is set for us to feast in the Lords presence,  he wants to teach you, heal you, touch your weary hearts, but you have to do your part, come to him.  "Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden, take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls."

2 comments:

  1. Russ- you're a blogger, too! I found your blog through Jamin's. You are a great writer- your passion for the Lord is clearly seen through what you write- He is glorified there. Blessings--- Beth Herndon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an easy trap to fall into. I think that the point when we want to fulfill our desires instead of our Abba's traces back to when we allow something in life to become more important than devoting ourselves to pursuing Abba. I know that I find myself having this problem often, when there's a situation or thing that becomes my entire focus. Thanks for the reminder to seek G-d.

    ReplyDelete